Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sleep Tight

For awhile now I have been on the hunt for a new duvet cover. I have been completely unsuccessful in my search, partly due to color and partly due to design (my hubby is PICKY!!)
 
I am also cheap, and really didn't want to spend a ton of money, since really it goes on a bed and we just sleep with it. Finally after some searching I found these awesome sheets! I was then set to work I had to make my own! Here is how I did it:
 
1. First off I measured my duvet, which is a king. I then decided that the Queen size ones would be perfect. Next I laid out my duvet and placed my sheets over top. I had only a little overlap on the sides, which is perfect for the seams and enough on the bottom to create my overlapping closure.
    2. I then pinned it, to make it easier to sew. I then sewed the 3 sides leaving the bottom of the sheets open for my overlapping closure. I found that somehow one sheet was slightly longer then the other and that made it great for the bottom!
    3. For my overlapping closure I figured out how much I had overlapping and where I wanted to put my snaps (I went with sew on snaps) I sewed a quarter of the length on each side. Then measured the remaining opening. I then divided it up and evenly spaced out my snaps (Okay they aren't perfect, but who looks at the bottom of your duvet anyway!!)
Then VIOLA!! I am so happy with how it turned out and can't wait to get all the rest of the details together like curtians, wall art and switch beds! Don't worry, I'll have more tutorials and pictures!!
signature

1 comment:

TheGeerlings said...

Great idea Kate! I love it!!