Saturday, July 12, 2014

String

I have had so many projects on my To Do list on Pinterest that it is CRAZY!!
I am just finally getting to some of them. 
One of the many projects that I finally finished is Name String Art.
To complete this project you need:
  • board (can be any size, depending on where you're hanging it)
  • string (I used embroidery thread, cheap and great color selection)
  • nails, preferably small ones
  • hammer
  • paint
Time to start!!
  1. To begin, I painted my board. I just used some craft paint I had around, but you could use almost any type.
  2. While the paint is drying, I used my Silhouette Cameo, to cut out letters to fit the size of my board. I then printed and cut them out. I went simple for my son, but plan to get a little more fancy for my daughters!
  3. Next I took the letters and laid them out on the board. Once I got them adjusted I traced around them with a pencil, this will help with the nail placement.
  4. Now its time to do some hitting!! I started by placing nails in all the corners of the letters. Then spaced them out about a 1/2 inch apart. I hit them til they were about 1/2 inch above the wood. I did this for each of the letters...thankfully my son has a short name! 
  5. Then the fun of playing with string came. I started by knotting the string on one of the corner nails. I then wrapped it around the outside creating an outline of the letter. Once that was complete, I started to just criss-cross from side to side and top to bottom. I did this until I felt it was enough. Then I tied off the string. (Make sure that as you are twisting and wrapping you keep your string tight, and go slow. I ended up having my sting come off a few times, ARG!!)
  6. Now you are all done and ready to hang it up!! I can't wait to do the next one and would LOVE to make a BIG one for my kitchen!
signature

No comments: