Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dinner Diaries

I am far from a great cook, I dislike cooking almost as much as I dislike cleaning.
(So as you can see my children are well fed and live in a remarkably clean home!)

Well Pinterest has really encouraged me to try new things and find new recipes for the everyday and while some have turned out okay, some have turned out truly GREAT!! This is one of them!

The first recipe I tried was Crockpot Pineapple Chicken.

Recipe:
  • 3-4 chicken breasts
  • 1 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

Now the meat had a sweet taste to it and it was pretty good, I'm not sure I would make this again. I really would like to try another version of this because I see it quickly becoming a family favorite...I'll keep you posted.

Now on to my HUGE cooking success....

As a side to go along with our Pineapple Chicken I decided to try Humus Mashed Potatoes.

Recipe:
  • 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
  • 3 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
  • 2 cups favorite hummus, homemade or storebought
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly-cracked black pepper

Peel the potatoes if you woud like, and cut them into large chunks, roughly the same size. Immediately add to a large pot and fill with water until the potatoes are covered. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until a fork will go gently through the potatoes. Remove from heat and drain the water.
Then return pot to the burner and use a potato mash the potatoes until smooth. Then turn off heat, and add in butter, hummus salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. 
Now these were the MOST delicious side we have had in awhile and Emmah even asked if we could make them more often! Jake wasn't as much of a fan, but he ate a little!! I will definitely be making these again!!
signature

No comments: