Sunday, February 20, 2011

Messages {Cork Board Tutorial}


As you recently saw, I made myself a fun new cork board. I thought I would take a minute to give you the details so you can make one of your own...seeing we are having a snow day here I am going to take advantage and get some projects off the to do list!!

To start I gathered my supplies:

  • Craft paint-color of your choice for the frame.
  • Burlap-I used about 1/2 a yard, but it will depend on the size of your board.
  • Hot Glue gun
  • Modge Podge
  • Button covers
  • Fabric scraps
  • Thumb tacks
Next I painted my frame, I tried to keep paint off the cork as much as possible. You never know when you might want to make another change!
Once it was painted I added the burlap. I cut the burlap to the right size and then hot glued it around the edges. (This wasn't the easiest step and took a little patience, but I like the end result so it was worth it!)

I then let it cool. While doing that I took some fabric scraps I had laying around that matched the colors of my kitchen/dining room area. I then covered some button covers with it and modge podge it. Once that was dry I glued on the thumb tacks using E6000.
Here is the end result:
I did add some felt flowers around the bottom and some ribbon at the top to make it look a little more exciting. I am really enjoying how it turned out and am in the process of coming up with a fun idea for my son's room!

No comments: