Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fun Forest

Again my crafting bug has hit and I am in full holiday mode trying to make fun things!!  

I NEEDED...okay WANTED a few more things to add some decor around the house. Especially this year I am low on decor, since we are not home for the holidays I didn't drag out all my decorations. I have been wanting to make some kind of version of these since I have seen them everywhere on pinterest.
To get started gather your supplies.
You'll Need:
  • Styrofoam tree (any size will work)
  • Yarn
  • Pom poms
  • Hot Glue
I started with the yarn tree.
  1. To begin I put some hot glue along the bottom of the shape and slowly wrapped the yarn around. This gives you a solid and straight bottom to work with. Also this ensures that you get all the way down to the bottom and don't see the styrofoam.
  2. Next begin wrapping. I started not overlapping, but then decided I kinda liked the look of the overlapping. Make sure you're watching so you don't have an empty space....I learned this the hard way! Wrap till you have reached the top.
  3. When at the top for the top inch or so I again used the glue. This made sure it stayed in place as well as covered the entire shape.
Now on to the pom pom tree. For some reason with this one I forgot to take pictures! But it goes like this:
  1. Using hot glue run a line around the bottom of the tree...add the pom poms one by one. I used a 1" pom pom. I went in a pattern using the 1" and then adding some fun color in a 1/2"
  2. Continue adding lines of glue all the way up the tree until it is fully covered.
  3. I then glued this tree to a candle stick holder I had...I know I have another one somewhere so when I find it I will put the other one on one too!! I used the hot glue to attach it.
Here is my fun forest...I am thinking I might make a larger one next year to add to the top of my kitchen cabinets.

signature

No comments: